Amidst the angst and drama of passionate love songs, I have a simple proverb for you: the early bird gets the [Worn]. In the case of tomorrow’s Heartbreak Karaoke fundraiser, consider yourself lucky to be one of the first 25 guests through the doors of our love nest. Cupid has prepared some crush-worthy goody bags to reward those souls eager for liquor and a microphone.
To get your big hearts beating a little faster, take a look at some of the stylish contributors to our treat bags (and come early tomorrow night to see what they donated!):
- Damzels in This Dress designers Rory and Kelly have a passion for rockabilly, sailor tats, and party dresses galore.
- Nathalie-Roze & Co. is a creative hub for indie designers and DIY aficionados, offering a plethora of fashion workshops and unique creations.
- Shameless Magazine is kinda, sorta like us — a grassroots publication run by a team of volunteer staff members that’s proudly indie. It’s also the only worthwhile Canadian alternative to the typical teen rags that celebrates freethinkers, queer youth, young women of colour, punk rockers, feminists, etc. We also heart their blog (we took Mir’s tip and ‘cornified’ our sponsors because we love ‘em that much).
- Sweetie Pie Press offers gorgeous, unusual button sets, artistic paper goods and crocheted elf hats. We’re currently thrilled about a security envelope inspired button project, and their involvement in the upcoming plastic bag yarn ball this Monday, February 16th that will see many a grocery plastic bag turned into balls of yarn.
- Upside Dive are four siblings that recover previously loved goods, like this lovely emerald Mad Men frock.
- Rare Treasure Vintage is very true to their name, and they might just have our favourite capri-length jumpsuit ever.
- goodEGG Industries offers an eclectic yet finely curated mix of accessories, home wear, and art objects made by the best of emerging and outstanding Canadian crafters.
- Annares Natural Health says the revolution begins in your senses, specializing in aromatherapy, mojo massage oils, and love potions (ok, maybe not the latter).
As well as some extra special last minute suprise additions!
HEARTBREAK KARAOKE FUNDRAISER PARTY
February 14, 2009 – Valentine’s Day, 9 PM – 2 AM
The Cameron House, 408 Queen St W
Cover $7 (or $5 if you’re wearing red)
text by Meagan Allison-Hancock