Applications for our next internship cycle (issue 18) are due FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 27, 2013 AT MIDNIGHT. Successful applicants will be contacted to arrange a time for an interview which will take place on SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2013.
WORN is still a small-time, all-volunteer art project. We self-distribute, self-publish and pretty much self-everything. That means that (so far) no one, not even the editor, gets paid. However, we are working hard to change this sad, sad fact, as we believe that all contributors deserve compensation.
WORN is committed to showing a wide range of beauty, one that includes diversity of culture, subculture, gender identification, sexuality, size, race, ability, and age. We believe that our wornettes represent this commitment, and highly encourage everyone with an interest in the cultures, subcultures, histories, and personal stories of fashion to apply for our internships.
WHAT A WORNETTE DOES
Everyone at WORN is part of a board (including interns), and you must specify which board you want to be part of. You may apply to more than one board, but you must submit separate samples for each board.
- participate in editorial development
- write regularly for wornjournal.com
- write book reviews
- write and research support material for the print edition
- fact check, copy edit, and proof
- help with the newsletter
- text based social media participation
- sales and promotional campaigns for publications, events, and projects
- help with grant applications
- circulation and distribution
- video and audio production
- social media participation
(this department has three teams, you must apply to one team specifically)
- image centered social media participation
- participate in the development of visual content
- assist stylists for fashion shoots
- manage and style small shoots
- create visually-centered content for wornjournal.com
- create layouts for the print edition
- propose, develop, and design promotional material
- participate in graphic design meetings every other Wednesday
- provide feedback and support for the rest of the graphic design team
- source historical and specific imagery
- regularly photograph for wornjournal.com
- assist on fashion shoots for the print editions
- maintain some visual social media
- photograph at WORN events
In addition, all wornettes must help maintain the office, pack and ship orders, promote and work at events, and help with product production.
WHEN TO BECOME A WORNETTE
All internships are 10 hours a week. 5 hours are done in our office and 5 hours at large. In addition, attendance to the staff meeting every 15th of the month is mandatory, as well as one other department meeting per month. Please do not apply if you don’t think these hours will work for you.
** Please note for summer internships — if you are a student who will not be in Toronto for the summer, we may be able to work with your dates, but you must clearly state when you can start and when you must stop working on your application.
HOW TO APPLY TO BE A WORNETTE
Send a copy of your resume, 2 samples of your work, and the answers to the following questions to internships @ wornjournal.com. As a whole, what we’re really looking for is a love of WORN and a firm understanding of what WORN represents. Please make sure your sample reflects the area of WORN you applying to.
You don’t have to send all of these samples in, but here are some ideas you can choose from…
for editorial: writing in the style of WORN, a book review, a blog post, or proposal ideas for WORN articles. No academic essays will be considered.
for graphic design: PDF files of magazine pages, sketchbook scans, illustration samples, fonts, or logos.
for styling: outfit images, link to a style blog, or photo shoot you put together (does not have to be professional).
for photography: photos you’ve taken of fashion imagery, portraiture, still life, or event documentation.
for publishing: a detailed proposal for a WORN event, blog post, writing sample, press release, idea for a promotional campaign or description of one you’ve executed, or a video you made on youtube.
Note that reading a minimum of two full issues of WORN is absolutely required before submitting this application. Reading the website is not sufficient.
1) What’s your favourite article or photo shoot from any issue (not the website) of WORN? Why? Elaborate and get specific.
2) Pitch us someone for a “WORN Crush.” Who do you think would be a worthy candidate? Why? Give us three questions you would ask them.
3) Who do you think reads WORN? Give us a brief description (no more than 50 words) of the average WORN reader.
4) What publication (besides WORN of course) can you not live without? What’s so great about it?
5) What department of WORN entices you most? Styling, writing, graphic design, photography, events, promotion, distribution or other? Why? (if you are applying for more than one department, please provide a separate paragraph for each)
6) Why do you want to be a WORN intern? What do you hope to get out of the experience?
7) Provide links to any public social networking sites or blogs on which you are active, like a blog, twitter, tumblr, flickr etc. (excluding facebook).
Please send applications as attachments (not embedded in an email) to internships @ wornjournal.com.
Please send your application as 3 separate documents, labeled as follows:
(your full name) questions
(your full name) resume
(your full name) sample
THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!